Do Teen Dramas effect teenagers identity?

A study done by Dartmouth Uni revealed "Adolescents favorite movie stars who smoke - on - screen are more likely to smoke themselves" this study shows how teenagers idolize their role models on the T.V and how "stars portray images that are desirable to teenagers" so as teen dramas are more and more common the ideal lifestyle is portrayed on T.V which could lead to much rebellion and discomfort against the life a normal teenager leads. 
This study shows how us teens compare ourselves to those who are on t.v. therefore making our ideal selves too far from our real self to feel comfortable For example I watch many different teen dramas so subconsciously I have constructed my ideal self around the over represented "jock" . My realistic self is far from the macho, tough, rough, strong American Teenager I have erected my ideal self around and as a result I lack in self esteem. 

My Real self ----------------------------My ideal self
Dustin Milligan is a 24 year old who plays an 18 year old, as I subconsciously form my ideal self around him my image gap gets larger and larger as the more mature, handsome and rich ideal self is portrayed on T.V to me. To me its obvious that my identity is effected by the lack of representation I have in the media. My perspective of what's normal and what teenagers used to form their identity round has now completely changed as I adopt a American role model

No comments:

Post a Comment